Author Topic: 1902 Monitor  (Read 852 times)

k4lmp

1902 Monitor
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:26 PM »
I just got a 1902 monitor from ebay.  I want to hook it up to my C128 for 80 column display.  On the back, is the RGB input, and a switch that says "positive-negative".  My question is where does the switch need to be?  Also, where to get a cable?  I read on here somewhere about people using 9-pin serial cables for this connection.  Is this possible?  Seems strange.  Should this monitor work OK with the 128 using this connection?  Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Jeff

Offline wte

• C64 user
    • View Profile
    • http://blog.c128.net
Re: 1902 Monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:46 AM »
I do not have a 1902 (because the 1902 is NTSC and I have a 1901 PAL). Maybe the swich is used to invert the signal? Give it a try (the 1901 do not have such a switch on the back).
You can use a 9-pin serial cable for the connection (a normal one, not a null-modem cable). You have to check your combination of male/female (this may differ from monitor to monitor). The 1902A has a different connector (DIN).

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/mlcomp.html

Regards WTE

Offline Hydrophilic

• 128D user
    • View Profile
    • H2Obsesson
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:15 AM »
Most any 9-pin Dsub cable should work, and serial cables seem to be very common.  Of course they usually aren't designed for MHz frequencies so if the image quality suffers, you might want to buy one specific for video.

I had a 1902A and it had several switches on the back, but none of them were marked positive/negative as I recall.  I agree with wte, in that it is probably for sync polarity.  With the wrong setting I imagine you would getting a rolling display.  In which case, changing the setting should fix the issue.
I'm kupo for kupo nuts!

k4lmp

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 03:18 AM »
Well, I got my 1902 yesterday.  I had several 9 pin female to male serial cables laying around.  I hooked it up and it works great.  Thanks guys for the replies.

Jeff