Author Topic: CHEAP 80-Column Display for C128  (Read 937 times)

Offline Hydrophilic

• 128D user
    • View Profile
    • H2Obsesson
CHEAP 80-Column Display for C128
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:59 PM »
Want to see the 80-column output of your C128 but don't have a lot of money to spend?  Well here is a cheap method to get a monochrome display.

All you need is three things, which you may already have

• TV or Monitor with composite input *
  • A composite audio/video cable
  • Wire cutters/strippers (or a knife)
If you have those items then this method is free... is FREE cheap enough for you?  ;)

Step 1: Get a composite video cable to use (see photo 1)

Step 2: Using wire cutters, cut off one end of the video cable (see photo 2)

Step 3: Strip about 1 inch | 2.5 cm of insulation from the end you cut (see photo 3)

Step 4: Twist the outer wire mesh (ground) into a solid wire (see photo 4)

* You can use a TV without composite input if you have a VCR with composite input... I did this back in the day, ask if you need details about this method.
I'm kupo for kupo nuts!

Offline Hydrophilic

• 128D user
    • View Profile
    • H2Obsesson
CHEAP 80-Column Display for C128
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:17 AM »
Step 5: Strip about 0.5 inch | 1 cm from the (Monochrome) inner insulated conductor (see photo 5)

Step 6: Stuff the ground into pin 2 (or pin 1) and the inner conductor into pin 7 on the back of the C128 (see photo 6)

Step 7: Connect the other (uncut) end of the audio/video cable to your TV/Monitor/VCR (see photo 7)

Step 8: Turn on your display device and your C128 and enjoy monochorme 80-columns (see photo 8 )

If you are not good with wire cutters / knife, or do not have an audio/video cable available, or if you just want a more professional look, you might be able to find a pre-made monochorme cable on eBay.

Also note the last photo looks like it has some color, but it is really *bright* white on my TV.  I had to fiddle with the TV contrast and camera settings to get a photo that was not washed out (too bright).
I'm kupo for kupo nuts!