Author Topic: Nearly 20,000 posts  (Read 728 times)

Offline Blacklord

• Administrator
  • Forum god
    • View Profile
    • http://www.commodore128.org
Nearly 20,000 posts
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:30 PM »
Way back on June 6th 2006 I went "live" with the first iteration of the forum (on PunBB back then as some of the long-termers may recall). The forums were a direct outgrowth of my then nearly shut down Commodore and Amiga BBS that had been running since 1987.

But instead of deciding to open yet another C64 or Amiga forum (destined to fail with the competition already well and truly entrenched) I created two - one for the PET and one for the C128 - both "forgotten" machines when held up against the Amiga and the C64.

Fast forward to 2007 and I moved from PunBB to SMF and combined the two.

Looking at the stats for the forum we should hit 20,000 posts by the end of next month - not too bad for a range of orphaned machines!

Although I was initially hesistant to do a 128 forum (not sure at the time who still had one, used one or was even remotely interested) I reckon the leap of faith has paid off big time - the forums seem to be directly responsible for stimulating new hardware and coding - things that might not have otherwise ever been created.

All of this is due to our members, some are new, some have been around for a long time, some participate regularl, others only from time to time - but i think we've managed to get a good little community going, friendly and mostly bump free - which is a rarity in online forums!

Landover turns 25 in October this year - wonder who'll still be around when we hit 50 ? I'll only be 71 so I reckon I will be :)

Offline RobertB

• Forum god
    • View Profile
    • Fresno Commodore User Group
Re: Nearly 20,000 posts
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Although I was initially hesistant to do a 128 forum (not sure at the time who still had one, used one or was even remotely interested) I reckon the leap of faith has paid off big time - the forums seem to be directly responsible for stimulating new hardware and coding - things that might not have otherwise ever been created.
     I agree.  The forum here has brought together C128 and PET enthusiasts, reminding them and others about the greatness of those machines.
Landover turns 25 in October this year - wonder who'll still be around when we hit 50 ? I'll only be 71 so I reckon I will be :)
     I hope to still be around at that time, too!  :)

Happy New Year!
          Robert Bernardo
          Fresno Commodore User Group
          http://videocam.net.au/fcug
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:13 PM by RobertB »