Author Topic: Media Player 128 Wish List  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Hydrophilic

• 128D user
    • View Profile
    • H2Obsesson
Media Player 128 Wish List
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:26 AM »
I just finally finished my first round of testing Media Player 128 using fast serial protocol (as opposed to JiffyDOS).  I was able to increase 1MHz data loading by 50% and 2MHz data loading by 33%.  So about 40% average data increase.  The exact amount depends on the video standard and height of the bitmap video (the ratio of 2MHz to 1MHz time).  This bandwidth increase does not decrease CPU performance... if anything, the CPU has more 'run time' than before  :)

Edit
I haven't tried it yet, but by sacrificing some 1MHz CPU time, it should be possible to increase 1MHz data loading by 200%!  Or approximately 100% overall bandwidth increase... no idea yet how this would effect CPU-intensive decompression.  Just pointing out some possibilities...
/Edit

There are several things that could be done with the extra bandwidth.  These are the first 3 that came to mind:

• Increased video quality (more colors and/or higher frame rate)
  • Stereo audio (2-bit x 2-SID)
  • Increased audio quality (4-bit mono)
Also, it may be possible to play mono 8-bit WAV/AU/AIFF files natively (no special Commodore conversion required) at 4-bit quality, but without any video and with VIC-II screen blanked.  However, the sample frequency would be limited to about 8kHz using fast serial protocol... higher frequencies could be possible by using an REU...

Any of these possibilities would be a significant programming challenge.  So before I go spending time on things nobody would use, I thought I should ask for requests!

Anything you want to see (err, hear)?

Here is my idea how Media Player 128 should finally work...  you insert a floppy into your 1571/81... or CD to a directory of CMD-HD / uIEC / MMC2IEC... then you can 'autoplay' which would show all Doodle / Koala / tokra-8xM bitmaps in a slideshow and/or play all PSID tunes / digi-SID files / MP128 videos...

Of course you could also manually select individual files to 'play'.

Not quite sure what to do if both images (Doodle files for example) and audio files (PSID tunes for example) are in the same directory (on the same floppy)... for raw digi-SID files, you could play them while showing the image on the VIC-II and/or VDC screen... but those PSID tunes tend to play in an infinite loop...

Ideas ?

I'm kupo for kupo nuts!

Offline Hydrophilic

• 128D user
    • View Profile
    • H2Obsesson
Re: Media Player 128 Wish List
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:32 PM »
This should probably go in a different thread, but anyway...

I have a 6581 SID from my first C128 back in the day.  I'm pretty sure my current flat C128 also has 6581 SID.  So my question is: can anybody recommend a daughter board (and where to buy it) to add second SID to C128 ?
I'm kupo for kupo nuts!

Offline gsteemso

• VIC 20 user
  • C128 & Mac user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:12 PM »
I know Vanessa Ezekowitz made one that apparently works. I don't know if she has any to sell but I'm pretty sure the plans are downloadable.
The world’s only gsteemso

Offline Hydrophilic

• 128D user
    • View Profile
    • H2Obsesson
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Thanks for that info.  But if I have to build it, it probably won't get done until the 22nd century.  :)   Anyway, for people who might like try building one, I found this doc while searching the web.  It seems it is by Vanessa Ezekowitz.  More searching revealed this page which describes several of her projects.  I guess I'll shoot her an email and see if she has any to sell.

Edit
I saw this item on eBay... it is an actual SID chip, not a daughter board for stereo... so going even more off topic...

Anyway, it is called a 6582 and according to seller it is compatible with 8580.  Not with 6581 as you might think.  I've never heard of 6582... anybody have experience with this thing?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:54 PM by Hydrophilic »
I'm kupo for kupo nuts!

Offline RobertB

• Forum god
    • View Profile
    • Fresno Commodore User Group
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:24 PM »
     I've heard of the 6582, but I don't have any experience with it.

Truly,
          Robert Bernardo
          Fresno Commodore User Group
          http://videocam.net.au/fcug
          July 23-24 Commodore Vegas Expo 2011 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:26 PM by RobertB »

Offline gsteemso

• VIC 20 user
  • C128 & Mac user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 05:57 AM »
AFAIR the 6582 is exactly the same as an 8580. If there is a difference it is so slight as to be unimportant. Of far more significance to the sound quality is which revision it is.
The world’s only gsteemso